6sous

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

What's wrong with me?

I start to worry: what's wrong with me? I'm spending money like crazy, and it does not look like me at all.....
I grew up in a Farm with a cult for parsimony, with ideas like "don't buy what you don't really need", "presents are not important", "secure the future instead of spending money for immediate pleasure", "your value is not what you can possess or wear".... All that sounds like crap but believe it or not, I experimented it.... As examples: my father would make sure I don't wear new cloths for the first day of school just because you're "socially" suppose to do so; as a teenager, my parents forgot a few time my birthday... I never felt poor or anything like that, and I received an incredible amount of love, but I felt frustrated quite often and sometime I thought it was difficult to assume the unconventional opinions of my parents.
As I became older, as strange as it sounds, I started to like the idea of parsimony, and I even enjoy the fact to be "different" than the socially accepted "standard".
I'm also convince I will never find happiness in what I can buy, so I try not to be too attached with the things I can buy....Don't make any mistake, We need money to live and I don't deny that, I just feel that there is plenty of stuff not that necessary after all.....
With all this ideas, I never spent that much money than now!!!!!! Starting with my road bike, vacation to Hawaii, weekend to New York, flights to France, location of a cabin in Tahoe for the all winter, board games, CDs, comics books, plenty of cloths....... And I plan to buy even more stuff......
So, what's wrong with me?
I don't know, maybe I became more "American", maybe it's not that bad after all.....
Whatever, I'm way too complicated sometime.....

1 Comments:

  • Alors bienvenue au club des consommateurs ! Cette "new attitude" pour toi est mienne depuis longtemps et même si je ne m'en rends pas souvent compte (justement quand je fais les comptes et que je me dis que nous vivons au dessus de nos moyens...), elle me revient en pleine tête régulièrement quand je vois Bénédict se transformer en parfait consommateur et me dire avec aplomb, lorsqu'il abîme ses jouets que "c'est pas grave, y a qu'à en racheter un autre"... ARGHHHH !

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home